Wednesday, March 8

SPEAKING FOR GOD


Is God getting P.O.'ed at Bush and Blair?

The archangel reported that the Almighty has become increasingly irritated with the vogue for politicians to claim that He is behind their policies - especially if these involve killing large numbers of humans. According to Gabriel, God spake these words: "That George W Bush once had the nerve to say: 'God told me to go end the tyranny in Iraq, and I did.' Well, let me tell you I did no such thing! If I'd wanted to get rid of Saddam Hussein, I could have given him pneumonia. I didn't need the president of the United States to send in hundreds of heavy bombers and thousands of missiles to destroy Iraq - even though I appreciate that Halliburton needed to fill its order books."

I've often cringed when I've heard politicians claim an endorsement from God for their policies. I wasn't cringing because they were trying to make their policy stands conform to their religious beliefs but because they presumed to speak for God. I talk to God all the time, and I believe he talks to me. But the only people ever designated to speak on his behalf were the prophets, and as far as I know, there's been no such anointing of Bush or Blair. Or, for that matter, Pat Robertson, James Dobson or Jerry Falwell.

Tags: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

If I were god, and sometimes I kinda wish I were, I would make a big deal of being blamed for telling bush to go to war. Maybe I would make a giant hurricane and it would blow away part of the gulf coast. Then I would let bush take the heat for not helping the people there sooner than he did. Then it would surely make bush look like a fool rather than someone I would bother to chat with about war.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Motherlode said...

Ouch! Two points, Patricia.

9:58 PM  
Blogger rMatey said...

Go, patricia!
Are we waiting for the Rapture or the Quickening? I just can't keep Highlander and Bushco straight.

11:52 AM  
Blogger David Aquarius said...

When I call out my name at the Grand Canyon, I hear it return a moment later. This is not the voice of God.

George, the voice you hear in your head is not what you think it is. It's just the sound of your meager thoughts rebounding across the vast empty space within.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Yukkione said...

Politicians will continue to claim mandates from God as long as there are those that will believe them.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home