Thursday, April 22

Buchanan on Bush

Listened to Pat Buchanan on Don Imus this morning. Imus asked him what he thought was the source of Bush's obsession with Iraq.

Pat Buchanan: "I think there are two sources for the President, this commitment, which I think is going to lead to real tragedy for George W. Bush as it did for Woodrow Wilson. The first source is his religious faith I think. I think George Bush is a true believer. I think he has accepted Jesus Christ in his heart and he has become something of an evangelical and there is a messianic streak in here that he has been called to change the world after 9/11. I think that is one source of it. The second is the neoconservatives who are writing a lot of his stuff. You can go through and analyze his speeches and that security statement of his, his West Point address and you see in there wilsonian ideas that George W. Bush didn't pick up in Midland, Odessa or Crawford, Texas. I think he has embarked upon a course which is going to lead to immense tragedy for this country. We cannot recreate Vermont or Mesopotamia with American arms . I think the President is trying to do this and I think it's going to end in real sadness. I'm afraid he is being used by these neoconservatives for their own separate agenda  and  by Sharon for his own agenda. It was great victory we had there but failure is now an option in Iraq. Whether we like it or not. The President should lay out what it is we hope to achieve? How long will it take to achieve it? How many dead is it going to cost? How may tens or hundreds of billion of dollars is it going to cost? And if there is going to be quoted democracy in Iraq when we pull out, how long is this thing going to last?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home