Friday, July 30

A GRAND-SLAM HOME RUN


Ezra Klein of Pandagon catches my breathless, disbelieving, euphoric reaction to The Speech:

There's no post I can write that won't be reductive to the moment. You guys talk; nothing driven by me can fit nor fill the moment.

Update: I believe, truly, that this is the perfect speech for John Kerry. It addresses every slander against him and absorbs the vulnerable edges into positive portions of a great man. This is phenomenal.

Update: Stunning. He did it. I didn't think he could, not after Obama and Clinton and Edwards and Cleland. But he did it. He gave the perfect speech for this moment, for this race, for this crowd. He couldn't rely on his charisma and so he instead told the country where it needed to go. He couldn't do flash so he did substance...and he did it. There's nothing I can say beyond that...I'm sorry...I just don't have the words for it.

I'm inspired. I'd forgot what this felt like.


I called to my husband as Kerry took the stage: "Honey, hurry up. You've never seen such a big smile on John Kerry's face as this!" It just went uphill from there...am I the only Clintonite that thought he even did the Big Dog one better?

Loved that "sad eyes" comment from Max Cleland -- I've often thought the same thing about John Kerry. They've always struck me, too, as sad or soulful...contrast "The Smirk" with "The Soul."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home