Monday, August 9

SMART REPUBLICANS WILL VOTE...UH...


I've been taking an informal poll amongst my more intelligent Republican friends (mostly co-workers) regarding why they support George Bush for President. They all know I'm a liberal Democrat, but not one has evidenced any anxiety or discomfort with the subject. At least not in the beginning.

I've played this like a straight interview, taking notes but not saying much. It's been a sort of stream-of-consciousness thing with them. The most interesting thing, is that it's almost identical from person to person. (I should explain that I spoke at length with people holding the following titles: CEO of a small internet company, VP-Corporate Development of a Fortune 250 company, SVP of the same company, CFO of same, VP-Communications of same, CEO of a small incentives company, Chairman of a different publicly held company). I respect these people not for their titles, but for their intellect and humanity.

Results: "I haven't absolutely decided to vote for Bush yet. There are a lot of things about his administration that bother me. But you know, it's kind of the devil you know. He's really decisive. And I'm not sure Kerry is. And you know, I always feel more comfortable with the Republicans running the economy. Except they've made some really bonehead moves lately. The deficit really bothers me. And all that religious stuff, that's weird and inappropriate. But I don't know about Kerry. He's so liberal. Democrats just like to throw money at things and make it tough to do business. And you know, the devil you know..." And they'd slink out kind of embarrassed because they hadn't anything better to say. Know what? To a man (two women), they every one came back sometime later to add something (also lame).

I have been so shocked and dismayed by the level of thinking here! These are people from "the best" business schools, who speak on "Kudlow and Cramer," "Neil Cavuto," "Power Lunch," and the like. They can read a balance sheet like I read a video script. If that's all that's tipping them towards Bush, then they're TIPPABLE. I encourage everyone to JUST SAY WHY? to their friends, neighbors and co-workers to GET THEM THINKING. As I've said before, GWB himself is our best campaign advantage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home