Sunday, November 14

THEY'RE RELIGIOUS, THEY'RE RIGHT OF POLITICAL CENTER, SO WHAT'S THE BEEF?


Okay, so there seems to be a debate about what to call those voters who supported Bush from a singularly "values-based" perspective. Evidently, they no longer want to be called the "religious right" since they deem that a perjorative term. It seems they prefer "evangelical Christians."

I've been referring to them as such, in quotes, because that's what I've been reading lately. But as an evanglical Christian (note: no quotes) who supported Kerry and is a lifelong progressive (I don't say Democrat since I vociferously opposed LBJ's pet war in Vietnam) (but let's also not forget his wonderfully progressive, for the most part, domestic policies), I totally reject that appellation for that voting class.

From here on in, I stick to "religious right." There's a difference, you know, between "religious" (which could include everything from the Taliban to the practicioners of Obeah and Voodoo) and "Christian," which should be restricted to the teachings of Jesus Christ -- and certainly not reflected in the popular American "evangelical" movement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home