Friday, December 31

ONE OF THESE THINGS IS QUITE LIKE THE OTHERS...


I've noticed that quite a few bloggers have adopted the H.L. Mencken quote you see top right on this blog (I posted it the day after the election). So maybe it's time for something new. If I stay with Mencken, my top choices are these:

"For every complex problem there is a single solution that is simple, neat and wrong."

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

"In this world of sin and sorrow, there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."

The first obviously is a great picture of the Bush administration's screwed policies. The second is a bit harsh, though apt. But I think I lean toward the third.

What do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

I have used the 2nd on my site in the past.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

I like it because it includes everyone of us in the US electorate--even those who disagree with the current politics and cultural ineptitudes our country is brandishing across the planet-- we are responsible for what our country is doing whether we like it or not. It is about time progressives get that through their head and start to understand they have to do what it takes to take back the country.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Motherlode said...

Too true.

11:03 AM  
Blogger HL said...

Then again you might go back a bit further into the history of doubt and use something like Pierre Charron's well known comment about tolerance:

"But they say: to doubt, to consider both points of view, to put off decision, it this not painful? I reply, it is indeed for fools, but not for wise men. It is painful for people who cannot stand freedom, for those who are presuptuous, partisan, passionate and who, obstinately attached to their opinions, arrogantly condemn all others....Such people, in truth, know nothing. They do not even know what it is to know something."

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home