Tuesday, March 22

FOR BUSH, SCIENCE IS A DIRTY WORD

For Bush, science is a dirty word.

You know, when I was a kid (and we were in church every time the doors were open), I never felt that my religious faith was threatened by scientific discoveries. In fact, I distinctly remember some celebrated scientist saying that every advance confirmed and strengthened his faith. I felt, and still feel, the same way. Over and over in my life, scientific and historical/anthropological discoveries have lent weight to the truth of the Bible. I was taught as a youngster that a faith that cannot stand in the face of science is faulty, and I have never seen science as a threat, only as enlightenment.

But I'm talking about the actual words of the Bible here, not some wacko's interpretation of it. These modern "faith-based" movements that scorn science smack to me of fear. And fear, according to the Bible, is the OPPOSITE of faith.

It's been so obvious to me for years (I've been a Texas resident for 20 years now) that George W. Bush has no real faith, and it escapes me how it is not obvious to others "of faith." All I can conclude is that his words are comforting to a mass of people who fear, fear greatly, the world as it is and the personal world they abide in. He confirms their fears and promises some treackly protection from it.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:13-14).

UPDATE: They lie so frequently, I don't have a chance to take a breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home