Monday, December 12

PRAY FOR A LONG LIFE FOR SEN. ROBERT BYRD

Now that's a man with fighting spirit.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd warned Monday that he would bring the U.S. Senate to a virtual standstill if Republicans carry out a threat to change its rules by outlawing filibusters on judicial nominations.

Byrd of West Virginia, a staunch defender of the Senate's often arcane rules and procedures, was responding to a comment by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who said Sunday he might move to restrict filibusters if Democrats try to block the nomination of Samuel Alito to the U.S. Supreme Court. (Full story)

Minutes after the Senate returned from a three-week vacation Byrd challenged Frist, a Tennessee Republican, in an unusually pointed floor debate.

"If the senator wants a fight, let him try. I'm 88 years old but I can still fight and fight I will for freedom of speech," Byrd said.

Byrd said he did not expect a filibuster against Alito, but complained, "I'm tired of hearing this threat thrown in our faces if we decide we want to filibuster."

3 Comments:

Blogger mikevotes said...

Byrd has done some things I don't agree with in his Lazarus like Senate run, but during this Bush administration he has been outstanding.

I remember back when Bush was riding high, and the war was popular, and Robert Byrd was getting up and blasting the Bush admin over the war, WMD, secrecy and all the rest.

Nobody got up to support him, but he made several beautifully eloquent speeches.

Mike

3:28 PM  
Blogger Motherlode said...

Hey, I've just cashed in from work, and guess what I saw? An e-mail alert on my Blackberry from CAP that included a link to your blog! Cool. And well-deserved.

11:14 PM  
Blogger mikevotes said...

I did a quick search of their site, but didn't find anything. I'm kinda torn about this.

My goal was to get that picture out there to aid the debate, but at the same time, I don't always follow the rules when I put my pictures up, so the attention isn't all good.

I was kinda hoping one of the big blogs would steal it so everybody would reference them.

But thanks for the heads up. I was wondering why my traffic suddenly went way up, and a whole bunch of people I didn't know were suddenly commenting.

Hope the weather's better there.

Mike

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home