Saturday, January 14

GOOSE-STEPPING TOWARDS DICTATORSHIP

Oh, crap.

Does Bush expect widespread violence in American streets? Does the administration really suppose that there is a greater threat of terrorists destroying multiple U.S. cities and threatening our institutions than there was formerly of a global power such as the U.S.S.R. doing so? Yet in those years we made significant progress towards human rights, we lived our lives and celebrated our accomplishments, we enjoyed our days without a constant shadow of doom eclipsing them. We recognized the threats and took action to allay them. We had confidence, though not blind faith, that our government could conduct foreign affairs competently, protecting us from any external enemies, and at the same preserve the freedoms and advance the well-being of our populace. We faced threats "like a man" (excuse the retro phrase) and refused to let any external or internal menace hinder our march towards progress as a nation. We held our Constitution sacred, our Declaration of Independence defined us -- and we believed that adherence to their principles was our source of national strength.

I've lived through the Cold War, was a small child during and still have vivid memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis (I lived in Florida within a triangle of three strategic military bases), came to adolescence through the late Vietnam era and witnessed in my young adulthood countless incidents of terrorism, the Iran hostage crisis, etc. None of these events altered our national character.

Now we are being told by the Bush administration that we are in an unprecedented state of danger, one so grievous that we must consider suspending our historical uniqueness in order to preserve our physical security. And all this was because of a single event, 9/11, a terrible day and a horrific attack, but nonetheless a single event, not perpetrated by a nation with a mind and the resources to invade and destroy the United States, but by a small band of terrorists whose mission was to make a statement about our Middle Eastern policies and a name for themselves.

How on earth have Americans come to such a pass that we are buying into such a manufactured environment of hysterical fear? Bin Laden must be laughing in his cups.

Am I a loony conspiracist? I don't think I'm loony, but I've thought for a long time that nothing is beyond the Bush-Cheney cabal.

President George W. Bush has signed executive orders giving him sole authority to impose martial law, suspend habeas corpus and ignore the Posse Comitatus Act that prohibits deployment of U.S. troops on American streets. This would give him absolute dictatorial power over the government with no checks and balances.

It's not so far-fetched. After all, his brother did it in Florida. The neocons have not hidden their strategy of using whatever opportunities present themselves to advance their strategy of permanent global (and domestic) domination.

So where's the conspiracy theory?

It's not theory. It's fact.

9/11 "changed everything." You bet it did. But not in the way Americans take that to mean.

Tags: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Captain Ninja said...

Nice work. I've just started my own conspiracy theory blog with a bit of a twist and I'd love it if you read it. My site's newish and no one seems to read it very much. I'd love your opinion. I promise this is not some way to take advantage of you or get your money. I'd only like your opinion because you seem to be a decent thinker.

Thanks, CN.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Motherlode said...

I read with interest your post on French (and other) racism. It's true that the knee-jerk reaction to things different from our experience is fear. And here's where my religious faith kicks in to trump my progressivism: until man's heart is changed, his nature won't be.

It's the prime reason why I'm a progressive. The U.S. Constitution institutionalizes right behavior man-to-man. No other secular instrument demands godly attitudes of the ungodly.

Keep on truckin'!

9:14 PM  
Blogger he who is known as sefton said...

Perusing your blog, specifically, "No More Apples", I have arrived at what I believe is a defensible inference. Both you and your readers would welcome news of in-your-face overt opposition to your "smirking chimp", my "dum'ya botch".

In plainer terms, I want to run for Representative for Pennsylvania's 10th Congressional District on a platform calling for the impeachment of President George Walker Bush.

Incidentally, I deliberately referred to your blog, to indicate that I visited your blog as an individual, and not as a spammer. Yes, that last is an illustion to a "pre-deconstruction" chick flick with a rating of two and a half hankies.

Oh, alright (!) already, I'll own up to it. I owe getting my message out to so many bloggers to COPY/PASTE ... gim'me a break ... will'ya puh-lease! I got to get the word out somehow.

Ah, before you click on any of the enclosed hyperlinks, please read the entirely of my comment. For example, the three planks I nailed together in my platform out to get me elected. "impeach bush" is the first plank. The second is "impeach bush". The third is like the second, "impeach bush".

To continue, the first hyperlink below leads to the opening salvo of my campaign.

http://hewhoisknownassefton.blogspot.com/2006/01/danger-senator-specter-danger.html

As for the second hyperlink, it leads to evidence that my candidacy is about more than opposition solely for the sake of opposition.

http://hewhoisknownassefton.blogspot.com/2006/01/dispelling-stench-in-oval.html

toodles
......\
.he who is known as sefton

oh, by the bye, it's a good guess you'll find what I have to say in PROMETHEAN COMMENT interesting to the point of startling. In that segment, I advance the case that the mere nomination of Judge Alito is tantamount to treason.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home