Sunday, April 16

FOR THE FIRST TIME, MEET THE PRESS UPLIFTS

As a deeply religious liberal, I must note that today's Meet The Press featured a 45-minute panel discussion on faith and politics. The comments of the participants were so uplifting, and so reflective of my own beliefs, that I was constantly thinking, "Can Timmeh have realized who he was inviting on the program?" All were dismayed by the religious right agenda, focused on that which unites us as spiritual beings, committed to inclusionism, and knowledgeable about the historic role of religion in public law, discourse and the organization of societies and nations. If the media would give these people (and Jim Wallis, author of God's Politics, who I was intitially disappointed at not being part of the circle) equal attention to what is given James Dobson, Tony Perkins, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell et al, the world would be a better place.

Sister Joan was a revelation, and the best of the lot.

Note their names. Google them. Read what they've written and spoken publicly:

Rev. Richard John Neuhaus (Catholic priest)
Rabbi Michael Lerner
Sister Joan Chittister, OSB, BenetVision
Rev. Joel Osteen, pastor, Lakewood Church, Houston, TX
Seyyed Hossein Nasr, author of "The Heart of Islam"
Jon Meacham, Newsweek

Tags: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joan Chittister: Roman Catholic? She needs to put on the habit, get on her knees, pray, and rid herself of pride.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Motherlode said...

What's this about the pride bit? Is it because she didn't wear a habit?

12:01 AM  
Blogger Howling Latina said...

I'm with you. I am a raging liberal and seeker of grace.

I sometimes get sick of listening to Matthews, and at the same time slot, Osteen comes on.

And I've also heard him on Larry King; and King asked him about Jesus being the only way to heaven. Joel just sidestepped it and answered something to the effect it was up to God who entered, not him.

The initial Baptist church was one of the most progressive churches. Their underlying canon was that God's spirit guided each individual; and it was not up to you and me to tell you what to do. Only to help you seek His presence and answers.

In fact, that's why I joined their church; that, and their worship services. As long as they don't get into politics, and where I go, they don't, I'm okay.

In fact, I've found pastors at "some" Baptist churches are a lot more liberal than their flock.

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home