Saturday, April 15

SOUND OFF, ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN ...


Another retired general speaks out against Rumsfeld.

The grievances aired by half a dozen retired flag officers in recent days resonated with many military veterans. "I admire those who have stepped forward, and I agree with the arguments they are making," retired Marine Lt. Gen. Paul K. Van Riper said in an interview yesterday. "I count myself in the same camp."

Van Riper, a lifelong Republican who voted for Bush in 2000 but did not vote in the 2004 election, said Rumsfeld has failed in a number of ways, including "disastrous" war planning and execution and fostering a poor command climate.
...
But analysts said that Bush cannot afford to let the generals' views go unanswered. "It's a referendum on the centerpiece of the Bush presidency," said Michael E. O'Hanlon, a defense scholar at the Brookings Institution, who surmised that the notion of Rumsfeld being pushed from office is "unthinkable to Bush."


Hat tip to Upper Left. Welcome to the blogroll.

Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone wake me when the press balances out this story by including the factoid that there are over ONE THOUSAND "Generals". I'd also enjoy a wake-up call should the press decide to do a feature length story on the 10s of Generals who have supported Rumsfield/Bush/et al (as opposed to the...6?...or is it now 7?...that the MSM would like us to believe are the be-all-end-all in this matter).

6:51 PM  
Blogger Motherlode said...

Have I become your favorite progressive blog, or what?

If you'd grown up in a military family, as I did, you'd know how shocking and historic this story is.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're probably the *only* "progressive" blog I'm reading at the moment.

By the way, I learned a couple of days ago that there are over NINE thousand retired and current Generals. The fact that a handful of them have (contrary) opinions about Iraq strikes me as neither "shocking" nor "historic".

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home