Monday, September 18

THE INIMITABLE ANN RICHARDS


Molly Ivins remembers.

She was bold, brassy, and beloved. She had the most fantastic, down-home wit. My favorite line is still, "Poor George [H.W. Bush]. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth."

One of the saddest days in Texas history was the day the other George, Dubya, defeated Ann in her re-election bid as Governor. Never in my wildest dreams could I have guessed that it would turn out to be one of the saddest days in American history as well, putting him on the track to the worst presidency in our history.

But I shouldn't let thoughts of the Bushes intrude upon my memories of Ann Richards today of all days, when she is being buried. I'll just say a prayer that Ann is riding a white Harley up in heaven and breaking St. Peter up with her observations about how she thinks things there should be run.

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home