Monday, January 8

REPORTS OF MY DEMISE ARE GREATLY EXAGGERATED

Yes, I'm still alive and somewhat well. The requirements of work -- amplified by the joyous responsibilities of the holidays -- have been somewhat overwhelming, leaving very little time for following the news, much less commenting on it. But everyone needs a break (including me), so here's a New Year's funny I just received from a pal by e-mail:

'I use the Google' among top Bushisms for 2006
(CNN) -- A Web site that analyzes and catalogues language usage has issued its top Bushisms for 2006, with "I use the Google" and "I'm the decider" among them.

"I'm the decider" alluded to President Bush's rejection of a request by seven former generals for Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld to step down. He coined the phrase in response to a question from CNN in April.

"The Google" referred to the search engine.

Language observers nominated the entries and then ranked them, aided by the Global Language Monitor's predictive-quantities indicator, an algorithm that tracks words and phrases in the print and electronic media and on the Internet.

Here they are:
1. "I'm the Decider." "I'm the decider, and I decide what is best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defense." April 18, in response to a question from CNN's Ed Henry.
2. "I use The Google," in reference to the popular search engine. October 24th. Interview with Maria Bartiromo of CNBC.
3. "It was not always certain that the U.S. and America would have a close relationship." June 29.
4. "I've got an ek-a-lec-tic reading list." August 29 interview with NBC's Brian Williams.
5. "The only way we can win is to leave before the job is done." Nov. 24 (Greely, Colo.)
6. "Stay the course." On numerous occasions.
7. "When the final history is written on Iraq, it will look just like a comma." Sept. 24. Interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
8. "The Congress was right to renew the Terrorist Act." In reference to the Patriot Act. Sept. 7 (Washington)
9. "I want to be a war president; no president wants to be a war president." Oct. 26. (Des Moines)
10. "The fiscal year that ended on February the 30th." The government fiscal year ends Sept. 30; Oct. 11 (Washington)


One of my favorite Christmas gifts was a "countdown to the end of Bush's presidency" calendar. It also features dozens of favorite Bushisms, which become less funny by the day as the disastrous policies of this regime go on, and on, and on ...