Monday, November 21

YOU CAN'T BAIL OUT OF SPACESHIP EARTH

I don't often do this, but I think it's important. This is a comment about my post Earth to America: Stop Global Warming, and my response:

andrew
 said...

Why are they blaming one political party or one president? IF there is a global problem it has been long in the making and the blame of no particular person or group of people. I thought the show was a disaster. The stars obviously knew next to nothing about the issue. Cedric the Entertainer said he "Googled" global warming to find out stuff, and the others just gave cheap laughs and never talked about the problem, if there is one. It was typical Hollwood trash.

And about conservatives being "selfish"... is it selfish to preserve the religious rights of citizens? Is it selfish to save the lives of children whose Constitutional "right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is ripped from them before the "right to life" can even be obtained? Rethink your position.
1:38 PM

motherlode
 said...

Thank you, but I'm happy with my position. Cedric is a COMIC like many of the others -- they were brought on board for their entertainment value to attract an audience for the more important message.

You question whether or not there is a problem. There are so many resources to prove that it is a disaster in the making that I won't try to list them here, but suggest that YOU try Googling the issue.

Abortion has nothing to do with this matter, and I can't imagine why you chose to inject it into the discussion. The "selfishness" the speakers last night were referring to is the short-sighted focus on immediate profits by business, the "I believe Jesus is coming soon so it doesn't matter if we cut down all the trees" thought pattern, and the "I'll drive a Hummer if I want to" mentality, that have persuaded our lawmakers they are better off avoiding environmental issues if they want to get re-elected and have thus exposed the entire planet to future crises.

You know, "Spaceship Earth" wasn't coined last night by the comics. It's a perspective that has been around for a long time. As Jim Lovell said, we're all passengers and we'll crash or survive together. There's no bailing out.
3:23 PM

motherlode
 said...

You know, Andrew, I should add for your edification that my husband attended seminary for two years, that we have five children and are devout Christians. I've been driving a Hybrid for almost three years (BEFORE gas prices rose dramatically).

And a serious reading of the scriptures clearly demonstrates that we are stewards of the earth that God created and should nurture, not plunder, it.

I would refer you to Target Earth Resources for a Biblical perspective on environmentalism and a Christian's duty regarding it.

God bless the earth and all who dwell therein.
3:40 PM


Tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home